Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Difficult Witness Encounter...

Thursday evening the kids and I met my family and some friends of ours downtown to watch fireworks. I made sure that I had plenty of tracts because it would be the perfect opportunity to do some witnessing. There weren't a whole lot of people there to begin with. The kids were sliding down the hill on pieces of cardboard and they were having a blast! A lady and her 3 year old son came up to watch the kids. Austin offered to let the little boy slide down the hill with him. His mom agreed and off they went laughing the whole way down. It was obvious that this lady had been battling cancer and as I sat there and watched the kids slide down the hill, I also watched this mom soaking up and cherishing every second of the experience. She smiled from ear to ear and laughed with joy watching her little boy have such a good time. She even ended up climbing the hill and sliding down with her son and they both laughed the whole way down.

The kids continued playing and she was standing off to the side so I thought it would be a good time for me to go talk to her. I walked up to her and started talking about the kids a little bit. Then I gave her a million dollar bill. I went through the law and gospel with her. She was very open, honest and receptive. But her joy had turned to sadness and she was no longer smiling and laughing. I felt terrible! I had interrupted her momentary escape and forced her back into the reality that she faces on a daily basis. I know that it was the right thing to do but it was not easy. My heart breaks for this lady and I would like for you to join me in praying for her and her family.

2 comments:

Dawg said...

The Holy Spirit was doing a great job pricking taht conscience of hers. You were faithful to witness and you are praying for her; that's all you can do.

Keep up the good work!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

I still think about her often and pray that she has repented and put her faith and trust in Christ!